Saturday

Change in Plans

It has taken some time for me to make sense of what has happened. When I moved to the United States I was scouted during my first cyclo-cross race in America. The coach said that he was a licensed level II USA Cycling coach. He said that he was also the national U-23 track cycling coach and he had the authority to choose two U-23 riders to represent the USA in the European 6-days series.

He said that he liked my technique and he was impressed with my race results in Europe. He also spoke to various contacts in Europe who gave me great references. He promised that if I worked hard and did everything he said I would be able to represent the United States in the 2012 European 6-days events.

Even though road is my passion I also like the track and this appeared to be a great opportunity for me to get into the USA racing circuit. Since my mother is American I also have American citizenship and thought it would be so cool to wear the stars & stripes jersey in Europe.

Then after working the whole year and doing everything I was told and exceeding everyone's expectations, I was told that in the whole United States they couldn’t find another U-23 rider to team up with me for the European 6-days. Then I found out that the American coaches missed the registration deadline with the UIV. Then I find out that my Cycle Loft track coach didn't really have a USA Cycling coaches license like he promised me and my parents and he didn't really have the authority to choose anyone to represent The United States. I was duped and I was so bummed.

I was kind of lost for a while because Cycle Loft broke a lot of promises about getting me established on the road. They wouldn't even let me race once on the road because they didn't want me to risk my position on the track. The whole thing didn't make any sense. I enjoy racing track, but I live for the road. I felt like I wasted a year in the USA and I didn't know what to do.

Then my parents said that I really needed to go to college. I found a great collegiate coach and I can't wait to race road again.  I have a nice scholarship for my SAT’s scores and an athletic scholarship for my cycling. So I guess I am on my way to university after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment